Lea Strickland, MBA/CMA/CFM/CBM/GMC, President/CEO of F.O.C.U.S.℠ Resources is an internationally recognized expert with numerous appearances in a national media including Entrepreneur Magazine, thestreet.com, MWorld, FoxBusiness on-line and others.
She has more than 20 years of experience in operational leadership in Fortune 500 and Global 100 companies, including Ford, Solectron and Newell Corporation, regularly sharing her extensive first-hand knowledge via interactive sessions and presentations at a wide range of industry events. In an average year, Strickland leads 40 workshops and webinars in 30 states, Canada, and Mexico on business strategy topics and is one of the most prolific women entrepreneurs on the business speaking circuit.
Strickland has written over 600 articles and op-ed pieces on topics related to effectively starting and growing a business and is the author of four books including “Out of the Cubicle and Into Business” and “One Great Idea!” in addition to serving as a contributing columnist to high-profile national media publications TheStreet.com and FOX Business.
She has been featured as a thought leader on innovation and entrepreneurial issues for national and regional media outlets such as “Capital Insider” on WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C. and magazines like Entrepreneur, Small Business Technology, Business Leader, TechJournal South, and the American Management Association’s MWorld Magazine.
Lea has a B.S. in Business Management and Finance from The University of Charleston; an MBA in Accounting, Marketing and Change Management from The Ohio State University, and is a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and Certified Financial Manager (CFM) both from the Institute of Management Accountants. She also holds certifications in Business Management and Grants Management.
F.O.C.U.S.℠ Resources (F.O.C.U.S.℠Resource, Inc.) is headquartered in the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina. It is a strategic and financial consulting firm working with companies throughout the world with primary focus in North America. The company also provides specialized services related to corporate governance, leadership, and government funding compliance.
Our focus is you and your business – the one you have started, the one you are thinking about starting. Whether you are an established business, a start-up, early or growth stage, we work with you to understand your needs, issues, opportunities and objectives. Based upon the analysis of your needs, we work with you to design and develop the business model and plan that will:
- Establish a sound revenue and profitability strategy
- Identify market needs, niches and product (technology, solution, service) development
- Develop funding, resource, and staffing plans
- Match our experience with your expertise in your field
- Develop infrastructure and processes to support commercialization and growth
- Guide the development of your business on operational, financial, strategic, and governance issues
- Work to support changing needs
- Address new and emerging issues and opportunities
- You decide what you need and when. You know your technology, expertise, and skill set. You know your objectives. We know business:
Starting a business
- Legal and tax structure choices and implications
- Virtual and physical company setup
- Government requirements – privilege licenses, permits, new hire reporting, tax identification numbers, and more
- Running the business – day one through profitability
- Owner/founder versus Management/Employee roles
- Accounting for and funding the business
- Customers and Prospects – Finding and Keeping them
- Building teams – by identifying the roles and skills
- Identifying and pursuing funding – government grants and contracts; bank loans; equity and other funding options
- Understanding your “product” and working to identify where the market has a need that you can answer
- Complying with government regulations and requirements
- Grant funding – research, economic recovery, bridge
- Contracts – acquisition, funding assistance, research
- Small business grants
- Non-profit grants and funding
- Overtime, Employee classification, and related issues
- Cost and pricing agreements
- Indirect rate negotiations
- Developing company governance and policies
- Human Resources/Employment
- Procurement and contracting
- Asset management
F.O.C.U.S.℠ Resources is dedicated to providing clients with a variety of options for getting the information and services they need – when they need them. We are proud to offer educational programs on-line, pre-recorded, on-site and in “event” formats. These educational programs (and materials) are cost effective solutions for clients who need basic and core business topics to serve as a foundation and as building blocks for increasing their business expertise. One of our major programs, Technovation Entrepreneur, is a structured education program that provides a range of topics in modules that include print materials, audio files, and pre-recorded webinars.
Our core service offering – advisory services – enables clients to have “on-call” experienced business expertise – via phone, e-mail, and in-person – an experienced, expert running businesses – from the large Fortune 500 type corporation, to start-ups in many industries (for profit, non-profit, and government) including manufacturing, education, professional services, and technology (bio-tech, medical devices, clean energy, fuel cells, pharma, nanotech, engineering, defense, and more).
Our clients have raised over $1 billion in public and private funding.
F.O.C.U.S.℠ Resources is a strategic business consulting firm that has commercialization as its middle name. You know your product, technology, or service. We know business.
Our expertise is in guiding start-ups; early and growth stage companies; and established firms to improve operational and financial performance, as well as develop innovative business models, expand operations, and obtain funding (private and government).
Make F.O.C.U.S.℠ Resources part of your strategic adventure:
- Draw the map (Develop a business plan)
- Seek treasure (Get investors and operating revenues)
- Build your team (Add FOCUS to your team)
- Forge new trails and adventures (Grow your business)
We work with your team to ensure that the business operations – processes, activities, and infrastructure – are optimized to support innovation, technology and business performance. Our focus is on the financial performance and strategic objectives of our clients. Learn more.
New Program! Technovation Entrepreneur™
Technology + Innovation + Entrepreneurship